Want to read this from the begining?

If you are new to the Floppy Throttle blog and want to start where we started, please visit http://www.floppythrottle2.blogspot.com/ where all posts are viewable in the order they were written.

The page you are currently on is where the most recent updates appear if you are already following what we are doing.

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Update time

Yet again, it has been a while without an update. This is due to a number of factors so lets get the excuses out the way.

1 - It's been snowing, I don't have a garage to work in, and I'm damned if I intend to freeze to death on this project.
2 - December involves Christmas and the birthday of one of my boys, so a lot of time has been spent on those two events.
3 - Most importantly - Lack of donations meant I wasn't going to interupt the rest of my chrimbo to update you.

That to one side, I asked Gruff to update this time round and you willl see below that he has thrown himself at the challenge and pushed his blogging skills to the max. I figured I should knock out a swift update as well.

Since the end of November, we have got the initial vinyl begging run sourced from HSP and it looks very good. The logos of sponsors are going on within the next few weeks so if you havent already decided to sponsor us, now is a VERY good time. a small donation of £20 wil get a company name or web address somewhere on the car, but the bigger the donation, the larger, more prominent placed the ad will be. £100 or more secures full width of bonnet (1 of the 2 available spaces for this already gone).

The car currently looks ok, but wouldnt it look better with your logos on there? If you have a funding issue, then I'm pretty sure if you wish to donate products or services for the car then we can place you on there, or if you want to donate a product or service to be auctioned off for charity then pretty sure we can fit you in also. Every possible penny helps this worthy cause.


OK, so thats a couple of up to date feel goood pictures of the car.  As it's been Chrimbo and good tidings to all men etc, you may think that everything has been tickety boo?  No?  then you'd be right. 

The nasty snowy weather has played havoc with the interior of the car.  There a real issue with water getting into the car and despite having 2 seperate dehumidifiers doing their magic at all time in there, moisture is slowly killing the car.  A couple of days ago I got into the car to find little pods of mould everywhere.  Never a good sign.  I have now anti-bacterialled the whole car and it seems to have settled down a little.

Having cleared the fungal friends out of the inside, I figured it was time to have a run in the car to get some air running through it.  Key in ignition, turned, completely dead. 

Unfortunately, the car is stored on a slightly slanted driveway with a snug set of gate posts at the end which completely destroy any hopes of pushing it out and then jump starting it.  Option B is to borrow a jump pack from somewhere and jump it or option C which was park behind it and jump it from behind.  Having opted for C, it seems that the 3.5M leads I own are a little short for the purpose so I figured I'd just get a longer set of leads.

I trundled down to Halfords, saw how much a 4.5 metre set of leads was and decided not to buy them.  For the same price (ish) I managed to actually buy a jump pack so returned and got it started.....


As you can spot from the picture, the issue of smoke, water, soot and possibly just a side dish of oil has re-appeared.  In order to rectify this, I resorted to the previous fix of a very hard drive to clear everything through.  As usual, the car seems to draw the attention of cap wearing half wits in what I can only assume to be their parents cars.  The latest seems to be an oik in a blue 1.3 Suzuki Swift.  All the time I was on a B road following traffic he couldnt have gotten closer or more aggressive, however, as soon as the opportunity to join the (private race track) straight clear bit presented itself, he was left looking remarkably sheepish.  Although this car is only a 1.6 16V, please remember that there is no roof and very little interior left weighing it down.  This alone makes a huge difference.  I digress, and I apologise. 

After 50 or so hard miles, the soot has cleared and it is running very very sweetly.

In terms of other work completed, there's not much.  I have poppped in a couple of Xenon 55w blue tint bulbs.  These are legal in Europe, extremly bright and really do increase the visibility in the dark by an outrageous amount.  On the down side, if you drive with them on, people flash you in the belief you left your high / main beam on.  It tickes me to flash them back and watch their retina's melt.

I'm waiting on a delivery of speaker pods from a supplier who is really starting to get on my A-Cups.  Ordered 21st December and the guy swears he dispatched them on 21st.  He uses 48 hour delivery.  I make that 23rd Dec.  Still not received.  He hasnt given me a tracking number and I think he's fibbing but he's got the benefit of the doubt right now.  If they don't turn up tomorrow I will be placing his details very prominently here for you all to see though.

We're nearly up to the 1,000 readers mark now worldwide so thank you each and every one for making the blog a success and please please visit our sponsors on the right so they feel appreciated.

Not a lot of humour this lap guys, but Christmas has left me feeling a little drained.  I willl try to keep you all abreast of whats happening on a weekly basis from now on so please check back for updates regularly.

Blog Heroes:
Havant Signs & Plastics for producing the begging text and being fantastic people.  Anyone who needs work doing, please get in touch with them, mention this blog, and say Adrian Seymour deserves a payrise :)

Now, as promised, I asked Gruff to do an update, so following this is his 1st blog entry:

No comments:

Post a Comment