Want to read this from the begining?

If you are new to the Floppy Throttle blog and want to start where we started, please visit http://www.floppythrottle2.blogspot.com/ where all posts are viewable in the order they were written.

The page you are currently on is where the most recent updates appear if you are already following what we are doing.

Saturday 16 October 2010

A fairly busy day...

It's been a cracker.  So much has been done in such a short space of time.

Firstly, lets have a picture update as I know there's one reader I spoke to today who only looks at the pictures as they're at college and meant to be working(!) but still find time to mess about on Facebook and skim through this.  Lauren - do some work, learn something or at least pretend to pay attention.

The vinyl rear names have turned up and as they weren't supplied by 5 star, they are correct first time. They look absolutely mint and for the money I'm chuffed.  The only issue that I had was during the application, the "i" in Davies didnt have the top dot as I hadn't pressed hard enough against the backing sheet at the time.  It really is hard work trying to line up a dot against an i when you have a sheet of paper covering both bits.  It is possible though as you can see.

The chaps that supplied it also do internal wall graphics so if you fancy a decal for the kids bedroom wall have a look at:  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/helkatgraphics They also trade under the name stickersandthings09 and you will see from the Just Giving page they threw in free postage so decent folk.

As with the last sunstrip, this one seems to have the bubble pox so I have had to resort to popping some in order for the vinyl to sit flush to the screen.  I hunted everywhere but it appears that neither I, not the wife, own a single pin or needle.  Would you believe it?  Even stranger is you cannot actually buy a single pin anywhere near me.  I had to waste a whole pound plus some shrapnell on a set of 4 (included a free thimble mind - bargain) which I will probably have lost in the next day or so anyway.  I've been popping and scraping for ages but it now looks pretty.  All of the pin holes are tucked into the corners of letters so they're not visible, but meant a lot of effort was needed to drag the air into the release spots.

We've ordered the first wave of our temp graphics for the car which having measured up will fit in amongst the '94 rally livery perfectly.  The temp graphics are there to attract sponsors and hopefully will be gone shortly once we have enough donors to fill the spaces.  So if you happen to spot the car when it's out and about, it will be unmistakeably us.  Give us a toot to say hi.  Or to say "You cut me up but I appreciate your dedication to learning how to drive in Europe, I forgive you".  That's what I will interpret seemingly angry horn blares as anyway.

So far as sponsors go, well, we have a new one I believe.  You may remember from the last update that I mailed 2 different companies to see if something could be done about the amp wiring as it's been driving me nuts, well both companies mailed back. 



The first mail was received from Sextons Portsmouth and they were very generous with their offer but it still involved me parting with funding (not a lot mind, it was a very good quote and they have a lot of overheads), and I was incredibly tempted to book it as soon as I had their mail. 


I decided to hang on though and glad I did as several hours later this company mailed me back:


Unless I'm misreading their message, I think we are going to come to an "arrangement" ref stereo install Vs Advertising.  The guy is going to phone me next week so we can go through the finer points.  This does however mean that I need to get the framework in place for the rear enclosure and get cracking on the actual build.

On a fundraising note, I gave the wifey's stepdad, Mick, a copy of this blog printed out with some sponsorship forms for him to leave in his works tea room with a covering note along the lines of donate even if you're a tight git.  After just a day, the tally is up to £26 so to the staff at Tesco Petersfield, thank you, it is appreciated and every extra pound really does make a massive difference.
Earlier today I was searching eBay, gumtree, freeads etc for some cheap white alloys to replace the tatty ones we have on there now and I think if we have the purple car with white race graphics, and purple text on a white sunstrip, then silver wheels just don't cut it.  I've been told about the idea of priming, spraying and lacquering  them and despite it taking time and effort, it seems the cheapest option.  I've just mailed the makers of this stuff and asked where I can get it from.  Found a few reviews but even on the manufacturers website it doesn't show where you can actually buy it!  Located a complete set on eBay but the price seems a little high by the time you add in postage.

Finally, I have gotten round to organising T-shirts for the Floppy Throttles.  As I'm tight, I refused to pay for rapid posting, so I'm on the slow dispatch and anticipate they will be here by the end of October.  Once they're here, I will get them snapped and uploaded so if any of you want one (might use them as bribes for corporate sponsors), let me know and we can come to "an arrangement" :)

A busy day has been had, so I'm off to get some kip on the new mattress (another eBay bargain... 10 inch thick memory foam, anti allergy, Aloe Vera and all sorts.  Not overly fussed about the bells and whistles but Jeez it's comfy).

Sleep tight people.


Savage.

No comments:

Post a Comment