Want to read this from the begining?

If you are new to the Floppy Throttle blog and want to start where we started, please visit http://www.floppythrottle2.blogspot.com/ where all posts are viewable in the order they were written.

The page you are currently on is where the most recent updates appear if you are already following what we are doing.

Friday 22 October 2010

Back to the sorting office - different staff, same intellect

First off, I've knackered my hand and it's not overly movable for at least 10-14 days so not a lot is going to be happening in this coming period.

It's been about a week since the last update, so lets do a time line type thingy.

At the end of the last blog I mentioned that I had been in touch with Sextons and Dragon car audio.  Dragon were going to "come to an arrangement" about costing for the amp and sextons came in dirt cheap.  I, being tight, opted for the former and he was going to get in touch with me "early next  (this) week".  It's now Friday night and over a week since any contact so I've come to the conclusion that the guy who runs Dragon isn't a man of his word so maybe I shouldn't be trusting him with the car.  I'm going to be getting hold of Sextons at the start of the week to book it in. 

It's usually at this point I start looking at my phone to see the pics to remind me whats happened and update about it, but right now all my phone is doing is telling me to connet to iTunes and restore to factory settings.  I've plugged it into the laptop and after ignoring "upgrade software" messages many times, I decided to do it tonight.  Unfortunately, it appears Apple are tossbags and this "upgrade" is designed to wipe everything on the phone since it was last backed up.  I'm not happy. 

I know that I started the scumrunner up on Sunday afternoon and the dripping black goo from the exhaust is back.  Last time a decent thrash round the coutryside did the trick and again, this seems to have solved the issue.  Always worrying when you get that trickle of oil.

For no obvious reason, I feel now is a perfectly acceptable time to mention I've designed and ordered T-Shirts for the Flopppy Throttlers, so if you want to order one, let me know.

I ordered a cone filter induction kit (like K&N 57i) but cheaper and shinier and guaranteed to fit all fords.  This should have set alarm bells ringing as K&N themselves have about 30 different Ford kits, but I went with my gut and it turns out you CAN go wrong for a tenner.  It doesn't fit as once you've removed the cover to the air box, that reveals an additional skinny filter with a hose leading to the engine housing.  If you fit this cone then the skinny one is unprotected as the box lid will not fit.  Theres no real work around and despite the guy on eBay offering me a refund, by the time I've paid postage back to him thats pretty much knackered any cash.  Think I'll keep it and if I ever buy another Ford (maybe next years scummer) put it to use.

Onto the important bit, the sticky stickies turned up.  We now have the 1994 Lakes Rally graphics.  This involved another post office trip so bear with me...
I received an email on Tuesday morning saying my grahics had been sent via royal mail next day delivery (be there by lunch service).  Happy happy I was at that point.  Sticky stickies on their way.  Had to pop out Tuesday afternoon, got back to find a "sorry we missed you" card which annoyed me slightly but such things happen.  I have a few things on order at any given time.  As the sort office closes as soon as it opens on a Tuesday, I was going to have to wait til Weds to collect.  This means that as soon as my graphics turned up, I could go and colllect the other bit.

Lunchtime came and went and I was getting a little irked that postman Pat hadnt rocked up as promised so as soon as wifey got in from work I went to the sorting office (they now open late on a wednesday)to unleash my disgust at their service promises and collect my other parcel.

I handed my missed you card to the lady (yep - not chuckles this time) who asked if I had any ID on me.  Handed her my bank card which didnt satisfy her at all.  Here we go, pay attention as maybe you can pick up the little details that maybe passed Miss Marple by.

I had used my Paypal account in the name of Thompson Savage (company name) for a few purchases.  This is who the parcel was addressed to.  My bank card doesnt show me as having Thompson as a first name (because it isn't) but I had my company bank card with me.  Unfortunately, their signature scanning checking thing wouldnt accept it as it's looking a bit old and used now.  This left her with a dillema, does she give the parcel to me as I am NOT Thompson Savage, but Mr Savage.  How hard is it to figure out that I'm holding the missed you card, I have 50% of the name, i've got a bank card in 100% of the name and I'm getting the arse on that I can't have my parcel.  Maybe, just maybe, I want it and it's for me.  Rules are rules so she's asked if I have any ID with that address on (obviously apart from the card they pushed through the door).  I have a driving licence but thats all I have and now I've moved, the licence is in the wrong address.  Long story short, she gave in to logic and decided the parcel was indeed for me.

Really annoyingly, the parcel was my graphics.  They had turned up the day that they had been collected fromn the supplier.  They had excelled themselves in service time and that would normally be great.   If I hadnt spent all day wednesday waiting for the bloody things to turn up.  If I'd known thats what my missed parcel was, I could have got it first thing and gone about my day in peace and tranquillity instead of a snarling coffee fueled anger beast.

Just a brief interlude now, my phone has now died.  It is no more.  iTunes insists that my phone is in recovery mode and needs a full reset.  I have accepted this as a sad fact.  Whats really bugged me is now I've reverted to factory settings, it's telling me the boot menu is incorrect and wont even turn on properly.  If fury is a feeling that can be condensed into a simple category of 2 characters, then O2.  Grrrrrrrrrr, they're going to get one of my infamous emails in a minute.

Anyhow, I digress there just a tad.  I have received the sticky stickies and now quite happy about that.  The workmanship is superb and Mark at Vinyl creations has been great.  Theres lots of little bits and a few big bits to go on.  I've started with the little ones, placing them where I want them, peeling off backing, spraying the area with soapy water to enable them to slide perfectly into position, and the ones I have got on look superb.  I'd love to show you a pic but at this time it's not possible as my tossing wanky phone is broken due to the upgrade.  Unfortunately this job has been interupted by a trip to a&e because my hand turned a funky colour and started to swell a bit more than I'd like.  I've broken it several times in the past and unfortunately this has weakened a cluster of bones which tend to snap with the gentlest of nudges.  I now have an "old lady bingo bandage" type thing on - you know the ones, beige with metal supports.  Swelling not completed but in progress so a full cast would be pointless, so get to see how this one holds out for a few days then return for another x-ray.

Finally, we have a beauty to leave you with.  Once the cabinet where the rear seats should be is completed and all audio is running through and correct, it's going to look a little bit poo.  purple car, racing graphics, polished up white alloys, and some wooden crap in the back where seats used to be.  Not so.  Maxine (my mother in law) has come up trumps.  We now have a huge amount of purple colour matched fleece to cover the cabinet and make it blend (ish) with the exterior once built.

Well, I have to finish here as I want to email those snivelling little oiks at o2's customer service center whilst I still have venom and hatred with just a hint of sarcasm coursing through me.

Laters

Savage.




No comments:

Post a Comment